Thursday, July 30, 2009

Managing to move on with a broken heart

The Elvis of Sushi has left the building...at least for the time being.

Grandma Mona called to inform me.

Katsu is closed.


I have already told one friend that I was going to have take some time away from Sushi now. I have been eating his Sushi nearly my whole life. I remember visiting my Grandparents in California as a child..hot car rides with quarters, avocado trees, iced teas, the 1984 Olympics, Bamboo, the Griffith Park Observatory and eating at Michael's and of course eating at Katsu.

I would have a small glass of fresh squeezed OJ and french onion soup at Michael's, kindly refusing any alteration to the meal. Mr. father once comically remarked me a connoisseur of both, I then considered it a point of pride that I hone my palate at every opportunity. At Katsu however there was no fresh squeezed OJ and certainly no french onion soup. No, on those hot summer nights I would instead sample the mysterious creatures of the sea and odd vegetation of Grandma Mona's homeland.
A curious mixture of salts and textures.

As years passed Katsu moved from one location to another. From Los Feliz, to third street, to the Valley, then just in this last year to Beverly Hills. Taken for granted by me for far too long I only recently realized how spoiled I was. I can write this next sentence with great pride and no amount of uncertainty. Katsu-san makes the best Sushi in America. Period. Of course everything is subjective, but I challenge anyone to say otherwise. teach me as he did. He never really got that mantle bestowed upon him. Katsu has always been too unassuming to claim such a title. Humble, gentle, kind, and like any Chef these characteristics always came out in his food.

My heart breaks with fond memories. So much of my life's turning points have been with Katsu's food in the background(or even the foreground). Birthdays, Funerals, and everthing in between.


Day 4 Lunch at Sauce. Greek Salad w/ grilled Chicken. Mint Ice tea.



Dinner @ Yabu. Omakase 7 courses(which somehow ended up as 8). It was a little bit saddening, nothing wrong with it. Very good clean dishes, but it's not Katsu. Not in concept, not in execution. Not with same amount of automatic care or graceful nonchalance that I came to marvel at and respect more with each passing meal. To be honest I felt like I was cheating on him in someway. No longer going out together but still on my mind on that first date with someone new. It will take some time for me to find another who will woo me, educate me, guide me again. Perhaps its time to change positions. I am no longer an eager student, waiting to learn.

I am jaded. I am sad...








No comments:

Post a Comment