Monday, August 17, 2009

last taste of MIami-


Wet- the bar at the Pool in the Dub Hotle. There are two things I have to do before I leave Miami Tomorrow. One is Swim in the Atlantic. I know I know, I been here a week and still haven't gone for a dip.

WTF mate?

I had actually romantically envisioned myself jumping in the Pacific right
before I left for the airport in Los Angeles and then immediately getting into the Atlantic once I'd arrived.

That plan ended when I booked a 6am flight out of LAX.

The Weather and work kept me out for most time I'd been here, but today was the final chance so it had to be taken. It's amazingly warm, if not too warm. considering how hot it is here the ocean won't really cool you off all that much. After about an hour in the Ocean I went to the pool bar and had lunch. the combination of foie & goat cheese empanadas and rum put me into a quiet coma. I awoke sweating under the blaring Sun with a fantastic racoon burn around the silouette of my sunglasses.






Versailles- I couldn't possibly have visited Miami and not eaten Cuban food, Right? I almost made it through without gettin some. What a shame it would have been if that turned out to be the case. Presto takes me to Versailles which is the consensus Cuban eatery in Miami complete with outdoor coffee stand for the ex-pat men to smoke and sweat and discuss what have yous. The most endearing thing to see was thier wifes, sitting patiently behind in the car, fanning themselves for hours while their men spoke animatedly to one another. Presto pointed something rather interesting out. These "free men" did not wish to be at home with the so called luxuries America afforded them, instead they wanted the freedom to hang out for as long as they wished on some random street and speak their minds for hours on end.

Another thing we parlayed over was the food of Cuba itself. Presto claiming that it wasn't really veery exciting. I love Cuban food, but then again I don't really dislike any country's cuisine. Cuban food is extremely rustic. Most of what amazes about any countries food is what the poor develope. Ways of preserving food, from pickling to curing to adding spice to prevent illness. how to prepare he cheapest cuts of meat while getting the most out of it.

What I realize is that most likely culinary advances haven't happened in a communist countries. Save recently for China, which is growning exponentially. North Korean, USSR, Eastern Europe, in all these places food seems to have regressed. what crazy Gastronomical feat could be accomplished with a plantain?

ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment